|Landing page accessed
KonDATA is an internet-based service for archiving and publishing research data from scientific studies and projects. KonDATA is a University of Konstanz service run by the university's Communication, Information, Media Centre (hereinafter: KIM). Using KonDATA, University of Konstanz researchers (hereinafter: data providers) can compile research data into data packages, describe them with metadata and store them permanently with the aim of making these data publicly accessible.
§ 1 Authorization to use KonDATA
(1) KonDATA is used exclusively for archiving and publishing research data. Using the service for other purposes is not permitted.
(2) All members of the University of Konstanz are authorized to upload research data to KonDATA. External users can get access on request.
§ 2 Licence and copyrights
(1) For the duration of the statutory protection period, data providers grant the University of Konstanz the non-exclusive, worldwide, irrevocable licence to use the research data they have provided. This right of use includes, in particular, the reproduction, processing and public accessibility of the data packages uploaded. If required for long-term archiving or to ensure readability, the university is permitted to convert data packages into other formats.
(3) Data providers can set an embargo period after which the research data will be published. The University of Konstanz only makes uploaded data packages publicly accessible insofar as this is permitted by the licence and embargo periods selected by the data providers.
(4) This regulation ensures that the rights of data providers to their research data are protected. In particular, they are free to republish or archive their data elsewhere and use it for further research projects.
(5) The University of Konstanz is entitled to transfer rights of use to the operators of other research data repositories and to allow them to reproduce the work on their servers, to store it and to make it publicly accessible. Contractual provisions agreed with data providers must also be respected by third parties in this context. The university will inform the data providers as far as this is possible with reasonable effort.
(6) The data providers and the University of Konstanz make metadata generated in KonDATA for the description of the uploaded research data freely available under CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication.
§ 3 Obligations of the data providers
(1) Data providers are responsible for the correctness of the uploaded research data. They have to ensure that scientific standards are met. The operator will not review the content or scientific information of the data and materials.
(2) Data providers are obliged to cooperate in the prevention of dangers threatening KonDATA, for example: keeping access data confidential, using secure passwords as well as complying with state-of-the-art protection measures on private end devices. They also have to immediately report any irregularities. If the data providers do not cooperate, the University of Konstanz may restrict their access to KonDATA or, in serious cases, exclude them from using it altogether.
(3) Illegal content - e.g. content glorifying violence, inciting racial hatred or including defamation - must not be posted on KonDATA. It is the responsibility of the data providers to ensure that uploaded research data do not violate the applicable laws or confidentiality agreements.
(4) The data providers also have to ensure that no third party rights are infringed by the publication or archiving of data uploaded to KonDATA. In particular, data providers have to make sure that cooperation partners or other persons with legal positions related to the research data consent to a publication in KonDATA or transfer the necessary rights.
(5) Data providers are obliged to exempt the university from all claims for which they are responsible due to infringements of copyright, exploitation rights, trademark rights or other rights of third parties and to reimburse the university for any costs incurred as a result of such claims. Legal liability privileges, for example for university staff, remain unaffected.
(6) If a claim is made against the university by a third party in connection with data uploaded to KonDATA, data providers are obligated to support the university in defending against these claims. In particular, they have to hand over all information and evidence necessary for the defence against such claims without delay.
(7) Data providers are responsible for notifying the University of Konstanz of any changes to the contact details provided.
§ 4 Obligations and liability of the University of Konstanz
(1) The University of Konstanz reserves the right to reject datasets or other materials if there are doubts about their legal admissibility, or formal inadequacies exclude them from being archived or published.
(2) Data providers have no legal claim to the use of certain software systems, components, versions or configurations in the operation of KonDATA. The University of Konstanz makes and implements technical decisions taking into account legal rules and technical standards. This particularly applies to selecting operating systems as well as assessing the feasibility of new developments and measures for server security.
(3) The University of Konstanz ensures that KonDATA works without interruptions as far as possible. If, however, it is necessary for technical or legal reasons, the university is entitled to interrupt access to KonDATA or to individual data packets. In particular, the University of Konstanz is authorized to block access to a data package and, if necessary, to delete it if there are indications of legal violations in connection with this data package. The University of Konstanz will make every effort to give notice before deliberately interrupting access to or deleting data packets, but cannot guarantee this.
(4) The University of Konstanz carries out regular data backups. The type and frequency are determined on the basis of common safety standards, taking into account economic criteria. In the event of data loss, the university endeavours to restore the last backed-up state of the system. However, there is no entitlement on the part of the data provider that a specific state of the uploaded data packages be restored.
(5) The physical preservation of all uploaded datasets is guaranteed for at least ten years. Beyond that, the university does not assume any warranty. In particular, we cannot guarantee the permanent readability of file formats in KonDATA.
(6) The liability of the University of Konstanz for damages incurred by data providers in connection with the use of KonDATA is limited to grossly negligent or intentional conduct. The university is not liable for damages or disadvantages caused by users or third parties.
§ 5 Data protection
(1) The University of Konstanz processes personal (meta) data collected in the context of uploading research data to KonDATA in accordance with Article 6 para 1 lit. a, b and e GDPR. The University of Konstanz's data protection policy applies in this regard.
(2) Data providers are responsible for informing their co-authors or project partners about the data processing, insofar as they mention them by name in the metadata. To do so, we recommend forwarding them the data protection policy of the University of Konstanz.
§ 6 Costs
The University of Konstanz does not charge data providers for the use of KonDATA.
§ 7 Deletion and legal succession
(1) Generally, the deletion of datasets by data providers is not provided for. In justified exceptional cases (e.g. incorrect files, legal reasons), data can be withdrawn after consultation with the KIM at the University of Konstanz. However, the corresponding metadata will continue to be publicly referenced and the DOI assigned to the dataset will continue to refer to the corresponding entry in KonDATA, including a note that the data were withdrawn.
(2) Datasets with a specified retention period are not deleted directly after the retention period has expired. Before this happens, messages are sent to the contact email address stored for the dataset. If the retention period is not to be extended or if there is no reaction from the data provider, the data will be offered to the university archive. If the archive rejects the transfer, the datasets will be deleted permanently.
(3) In case of a legal succession to data packages, the data providers must inform the KIM at the University of Konstanz and name the successors. If the legal succession is no longer clearly retraceable, especially in case of (a) Death of the data provider or (b) Closure of the institute providing the data or (c) Non-traceability of the whereabouts of the data providers, the University of Konstanz holds the rights to the archived data packages in trust.
KonDATA is an internet-based service for archiving and publishing research data from scientific studies and projects. KonDATA is a University of Konstanz service run by the university's Communication, Information, Media Centre (KIM). Using KonDATA, University of Konstanz researchers (hereinafter: data providers) can compile research data into data packages, describe them with metadata and store them permanently with the aim of making these data publicly accessible. The data providers are solely responsible for assessing the content and checking the quality of their data.